Each spring, Keep America Beautiful hosts the "Great American Cleanup" with organizations hosting events such as litter cleanups, tree plantings, restoring nature trails, and other impactful projects across the nation. This year is the Great American Cleanup's 25th anniversary, which will take place between March 20 and June 21. In honor of the celebration, Keep Chester County Beautiful is hosting a Spring Giveaway to provide qualifying groups with safety vests and trash grabbers to use during their Great American Cleanup event(s). Learn more!
Keep Chester County Beautiful
Chester County is an official county affiliate of Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful. Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful's vision is a clean and beautiful Pennsylvania, and over the past 30+ years, they have worked with hundreds of thousands of volunteers across the state to pick up nearly 152 million pounds of trash from roadways, waterways, greenways, forests, and other community spaces. Keep PA Beautiful is a state affiliate of Keep America Beautiful, Inc. The goal of Keep Chester County Beautiful is to expand capacity within the county for litter abatement, waste reduction, beautification and environmental stewardship.
Keep Chester County Beautiful Steering Committee
- Richard Brunel, Saint Gobain/Business Community Representative
- Seung Ah Byun, Executive Director, Chester County Water Resources Authority
- Meagan Hopkins Doerr, Master Watershed Steward Coordinator, Penn State Extension
- Jay Erb, Park Ranger, Chester County Parks and Preservation
- Traci Frederick, Vocational Support Specialist, Chester County Intermediate Unit
- Beth Intoccia, Founder, Litter Lifters of West Vincent
- Patti Lynn, County Recycling Coordinator, Chester County Solid Waste Authority
- Bruce McClure, Supervisor, Chester County Probation
- Kelly McDowell, Great American Clean Up Chester County
- Scott Mengle, SECCRA General Manager, Southeastern Chester County Refuse Authority
- Venitra Starks, Engineering District 6 Adopt a Highway, PennDOT
- Chris Strohmaier, Manager, Chester County Conservation District
- Brian Winslow, Watershed Conservation Director, Brandywine Red Clay Alliance
Why litter is a problem in Pennsylvania and Chester County
Recent research in Pennsylvania shows that only 3% of Pennsylvanians approve of litter, but 40-50% are littering. This results in approximately 502.5 MILLION pieces of litter along our roadways. And litter isn't just ugly to look at, it can contaminate the environment and cause public health risks.
Photo credit: Beth Intoccia, Litter Lifters of West Vincent
Litter Reduction and Beautification in Pennsylvania
PA Litter Action Plan
The PA Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), Department of Transportation (PennDOT), and Keep PA Beautiful, partnered in 2018 to perform a research study to document the quantity, composition and sources of litter in Pennsylvania. The findings were significant. There are approximately 502.5 million pieces of litter on Pennsylvania roadways, primarily cigarette butts and plastic bottles. Furthermore, it found that of the nine cities studied, more than $68.5 million is spent annually on efforts to address litter and illegal dumping. Using this information and Pennsylvania specific data the first ever Statewide Litter Action Plan was created, with a goal of changing behaviors to curb the statewide litter problem. One of the first recommendations to be addressed was the creation of the anti-litter campaign, "PA Fights Dirty: Every Litter Bit Matters", which is aims to shift the narrative from cleaning up the mess to changing behaviors.
Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful
The core programming of Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful focuses on litter and illegal dump prevention, cleanup, community greening, proper waste handling, and sustainable practices. Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful works with many partnering organizations at the state and grassroots level to accomplish their goal of a clean and beautiful Pennsylvania. Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful is the state affiliate of Keep America Beautiful, Inc., the nation's largest volunteer-based community action and education organization. Learn more about Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful.
Volunteer or Host an Event | Programs and Resources | Litter and Waste Information for Residents | Adopt or Sponsor a Highway | Connect