2022 Town Tours & Village Walks
Posted May 25, 2022
For its upcoming 28th season, the 2022 Town Tours & Village Walks program offers a unique opportunity for residents and visitors to learn about the "Founding Mothers and Fathers" who played a significant role in Chester County's history.
Town Tours & Village Walks is a series of summer strolls through historic neighborhoods, hamlets, villages and sites, and this year, the "strolls" are back to in-person, instead of virtual. This summer, the series will explore Chester County's heritage on Thursday evenings from June 9th through August 18th.
The 2022 Town Tours and Village Walks program will kick-off with a celebration and Humphry Marshall Birthday Bash at the Chester County History Center (225 N. High Street, West Chester) on Thursday, June 9 at 5:30 p.m. Presentations will be followed by a tour of the northeast quadrant of West Chester Borough and light refreshments.
Each tour is designed to inform, entertain, and educate about Chester County's rich heritage and historic landscape. The tours are free to attend and begin at 5:30 p.m., lasting approximately 50 minutes, with the last tour leaving at 7:00 p.m.
Additional tours for the 2022 season include:
- Founding Families of the African American Community in Kennett Square (June 16 Self-guided);
- Eagle Village (June 23);
- Willistown Township — Acres of Quakers, Native Americans, and Conservationists (July 7 — pre-registration required for this tour);
- Rebecca Lukens (July 21);
- Jones Log Barn, Tredyffrin Township (July 28);
- Celebrating 300 Years of the Springs at Historic Yellow Springs (August 4);
- Malvern Borough c. 1889 — From Crossroads to Powerhouse (August 11); and
- Humphry Marshall and the Village of Marshallton (August 18).
Many of the 2022 Town Tours & Village Walks locations also offer a generous selection of restaurants and shops to enjoy after the tour.
The Town Tours & Village Walks program is made possible through a partnership between the Chester County Board of Commissioners, the Chester County Planning Commission, the Chester County History Center, the Chester County Historic Preservation Network, the Chester County Conference and Visitors Bureau, and many dedicated volunteers.
Learn more about the 2022 Town Tours and Village Walks program, including a flyer and brochure with details of each event.