Brandywine Battlefield Sign Unveiled in Pennsbury Township
Posted May 20, 2022
Photo credit: Jen Manderscheid, Board Member of the Chadds Ford Historical Society.
As part of Chester County's efforts to preserve the historic resources and landscapes that define our cultural heritage to inspire the future through tangible connections to our shared past, we are excited to share that a new historic marker was recently unveiled at the Barns-Brinton House in Pennsbury Township!
The sign was the seventh to be installed in a series of 15 — with eight more to be placed on the grounds where the September 11, 1777, Battle of Brandywine took place. It was the largest single day land battle of the American Revolutionary War which spanned across 35,000 acres and 15 municipalities in the region. Other signs that have been installed include West Bradford Township, East Bradford Township, East Marlborough Township, Westtown Township, and Thornbury Township and Chadds Ford Township in Delaware County.
"This initiative is a great example of a private-public collaboration and regional planning and implementation," noted the Chester County Planning Commission's Director, Brian O'Leary, who attended the unveiling. "We are excited to see the ongoing installation of the 15 signs as we continue to preserve Chester County's history through Landscapes3."
The Barns-Brinton house is owned and maintained by the Chadds Ford Historical Society. The sign initiative was led by a public-private partnership developed by the Brandywine Battlefield Task Force, facilitated by the Chester County Planning Commission, coordinated with municipal historical commissions, and funded with the support of the PA Society of the Sons of the Revolution and its Color Guard.
Once the 15 signs are installed, they, along with the Heritage Centers and Interpretative Sites, will provide a coordinated network of public education about the 1777 Battle of Brandywine. Learn more about the Battle.